Monday, September 7, 2009

Today's era of raising the flag on Iwo Jima.

This is not an easy subject to talk about. The fact remains that it must be talked about. I didn't have to take a picture of my dying comrades, I just happened to be there when Allah came calling. "Allahu akbar"

On the news not to long ago there was an article about the picture of a dying marine. It was published by the AP press. People were outrage that the photo was released and images of that nature should not be viewed by the public. The parents agreed with the people. Would one broadcast a dying marine in battle?

So, the portrait of the marines raising the flag on Iwo Jima be stopped as well? Half of them died with in days of the photograph.

I say publish it, one has to see and not read what war is about, what soldiers really fight for. No matter how much the world writes about war, one will never understand unless volunteering for it.

I see no difference on those two pictures, they represent what every soldier thinks when the enemy attacks them. Let me do my job right so my friends don't die. The same feelings one feels about the picture of the marines raising the flag on Mount Suribachi, they should feel the same way about the picture of Lance Cpl. Joshua M. Bernard, 21, of New Portland, Maine.

Yes, the figure of the dying marine is sad, it captured without saying what a dying face looks like. The effects of an R.P.G. on the body is quit devastating. I hated the sound when one was fired at us. To me it was the scariest sound on earth, it put a scared on my body that I could barely hide. I just knew it was coming and I could not do a damn thing about it. That sound still stays with me. Ruchnoi Protivotankovye Granatamyot, is a hand held anti tank grenade launcher.

The picture of the dying marine can be found at http://www.ap.org/fallen_marine/
I wanted to share this information because sometimes citizens tend to forget what heroes look like.

3 comments:

  1. I remember when people in our unit got killed you'd say things like "better him then me" and on April 23rd when the C.O.'s vehicle got hit it didn't seem to effect you much at all. I'm not trying to piss you off or insult you, I was just wondering if your perspective has changed since you had some time to reflect on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the pictures can be compared. I think the "news" needs to show the good, bad and ugly, but since they were asked by the family not to print it I think that should have been respected. Afghan Quest dates 9/4 ad 9/5 blogger has very strong feelings about how disrespectful it is to publish pictures like this. I was young during Vietnam, but pictures like this were always in LOOK, LIFE magazines and on t.v..The news does a very poor job of putting this war in America's "face" and making them think about what the hell is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are of course welcome to your opinion, however, had I seen that broad taking that picture, she would have EATEN that camera!

    ReplyDelete